Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Thirteen Quilts At the End of 2014

Still loving the new LiveOak Library Branch just across the road!  Yesterday, I picked up 

Quilting With A Modern Slant by Rachel May.  


Nothing could be more appropriate for me to read right now.  Sewing machine is still in the shop, schedule is confused and uncertain, and another calendar year ends. 

The subtitle of the book:  People, Patterns, and Techniques Inspiring the Modern Quilt Community is accurate.  I need community.  I have not found the trick yet to establishing myself in a local community.  I try, I hope, I shall!  For now, a cyber community is what I have and I have definitely been inspired and am learning from the Modern Quilting Community of the Quilternet.

To close 2014, I hope it is ok to share some of the quotes and inspirations from this book resonating with lovely tones in my head.  Rachel May's book has won awards from Amazon and other organizations.  And from me, too! Thank you!

"I'm a maker, and not only for selfish reasons; I hope that I'm contributing to a better world, in some way."  Kyoung Ae Cho


"Say where you got the inspiration for your design.  Explain whatever you can about your roots.  In doing so, you'll let others find their own."  Rossie Hutchinson


I hope I am doing a good job with this exhortation in my blogging.  My blogging began in part as acknowledgement to the joy I feel finding people who freely share their work in quilting.  

"Quilting Is My Therapy"  Angela Waters

Oh yes, the name of her blog describes my time spent quilting. 

Sherri Lynn Wood.  

I simply hope to participate in one of her Passage workshops some day!


Chawne Kimber's creativity continues to inspire ideas. 

I rather wish I had kept Quilt #7, created after seeing her techniques for loving and treasuring scraps.



Below are quilts 
44, 34, 36, 43
35, 40, 9 (yeah, I finally finished #9!), 38 & 42
39, 37, 41, 45
Starting and finishing do not necessarily happen in sequence.  Not sure why I number starts.  Not sure why I number at all.  But I do!
BTW January 1st is not the first day of a new year in my brain.  
I have been in school since I was four years old.  
My New Year starts on Labor Day.  

Celebrating, grieving and growing all continue day in and day out, no calendars necessary!



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts you created this year! I read Quilting with a Modern Slant earlier this year, and I loved it. Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pamela! and I'm glad to have met you in the 2014! May we sew all the stitches we want in the 15!

    ReplyDelete