Thursday, December 18, 2014

Midnight in the Garden of Dwellings

Quilt #35 - Fabric Envy or Victim of Advertising

So many wonderful quilters have wonderful blogs. I adore reading about and viewing the arts and crafts shared in blogs hosted by talented quilters.  Many bloggers quilt as a real life paying job. Envy!


Many of these wonderful quilters support their work with blog advertising.  I was lured, hook, line and sinker, in a quest to fit in with these talented, prolific and trending quilt bloggers...once.  Hooked by the lure set out there with advertising that I think implies: YOU MUST HAVE THIS Fabric by a BIG NAME Designer because only a quilt made with all the prints by A Designer Line is a lovely wonderful quilt. Ouch. 

Yes, I bought the whole line of something.  Once.  I've only done this once.  I didn't inhale... oh, that was someone else, that fine looking president?

On trips as Dutiful Daughter I make each six weeks, I pass far to closely to A Scarlett Thread in MacDonough, GA. I love this fabric store!  But this time...

The five hour drive I try to shorten into four turns into six.  My GPS seems to activate the turn signal and my car changes lanes at the exit without conscious effort!!!  The speeding ticket for the four hour trip would likely have been less than the shopping I did on the six hour trip.  



I walked in the door of A Scarlet Thread and there before my eyes was a fabric collection my heart loved. Not liked, LOVED.  None of the bloggers I follow told me to buy this line, this line told my heart to buy it! Dwellings by Contempo for Benartex or however they say it, it spoke to me.  It said BUY ME!  


It went so far I even tweaked a quilt pattern I found on the Benartex website in creating this quilt. I was all in on this lure!  

I binge watched Game of Thrones while making the quilt in January 2014 as my heart and brain turned over some big choices in my life. How do I feel about this quilt now? I like this quilt. I love the colors, I still love the fabric.  I had fun making it. It made itself quickly.  That no one else seems to like it does not matter.  

However, there is something slightly tawdry about falling for a fabric line simply because of a Brand Name in a lovely display. There is something slightly tawdry about the Jim Williams story and the Johnny Mercer House.  

Therefore, some pics of the tawdry quilt in front of the Mercer/Williams house seem appropriate! 

So now I've told my story of Midnight in the Garden of Blog Advertising. Perhaps I am now free in spirit to move back to my scrappy quilts where the designer lines appear in patchwork nestled adjacent to an old flannel shirt.






3 comments:

  1. I like your quilt! And I loved reading your post - I especially love the poetry of the designer fabrics nestling in with a flannel shirt! I've been very guilty of wanting the latest fabrics or falling for a certain line but I've recently scolded myself about it - after all, isn't the whole history:tradition of patchwork about making the most of what you already have. I'm going to attempt not to buy any new fabric in 2015, let's see how I get on.,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with your resolution Nellie. I'm going to try to join in with you. Except for neutrals that get used up, and backings, and...uh oh - I'm off to a poor start with this already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt looks beautiful against the backdrop of that house! Good job finding this great setting for a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete