Sunday, December 7, 2014

Finished On Friday

Quilts #31 and #46


The first Friday night of the fall without High School Football and Marching Band?  
It is time to finish things!

Quilt Number 31 has languished over a year with top complete and sandwiched with a true scrappy backing.  The colorful small boxes were quilted easily with straight lines and spirals.  Then...

Back in January I tentatively started doing some FMQ on the background squares, even though I was still in the practice stage. Horrified by my product, I bundled the lovely top with its awful quilting away, half done. 

  

Fall Boxes was inspired by a Jenny Retwig quilt pattern featured in Quilter's World back in Autumn 2013.  I cannot find a single image on the internet for the original quilt!  I wonder why?  I adored it.

Creating the top was joy.  Cutting perfect squares of all sizes in a lovely array of solids on hand in my so-huge-to-be-scary stash made me happy. 

Tonight, I decided to accept my poor quilting skills in order to call it a completed work.  No rip out and do over.  Life doesn't work that way.
As the final seven squares are quilting, I accept that I'm not neat or skilled or meticulous.

And I'm happy to have another quilt to keep, or give to a friend who says they love it, just really want to have it.

Quilt 46

Quilt Number 46 was inspired by the quilt displayed in MGQ Showcase at the International Quilt Festival this fall.  Pick Up Sticks by Becky Goldsmith fired my brain for a way to use up the small bag of light blue strings left over from other projects and bindings.  

There was no measuring, there was no pattern.  It was improvisational fun.  

You can see Quilt Number does NOT look like pick up sticks.  
More like crazy diamonds.  
I happily dropped the free motion foot back in the basket to spend time with my old friend, Walking Foot.  Familiar ground!




My phone was not cooperating with the snapping of pics Saturday afternoon and I had to hurry on to a Christmas Parade rather than problem solve. I will update this post perhaps today as I rake leaves with the finished quilts in the December sunlight.


 If you visit my blog, please share what you were working on this week! 
It is nice to know I'm not the only person home quilting on Friday nights. 



2 comments:

  1. looking forward to having you around near by again Bambi! Merry Christmas to you all!

    ReplyDelete