Friday, February 13, 2015

Swoon Quilt with Tire Tracks

Out of the Closet With Love


What can you say to the grieving parent or widow?

How do you greet the unloved neighbor when she walks into the party?

What do you say about the quilt you find ugly?

There are good words.  I just don't have the gift for such words. Nor do most folks I know.

I'll just make a quilt to take the place of words.  






A quilt top was made from my fabric hoard as I felt a need to take what was on hand to create something that resembles the expensive quilts produced by the cool blogger kids. 

I wanted to be like the artistic lady I knew who was making Swoon Blocks, so that I too might feel artistic and current.  








I took on all ideas, for reasons valid and invalid to create the quilt top from hell.

It grew to be HUGE.  In part, it grew because everyone wants a King Sized quilt. In part because there are so many ideas to put together. In part it grew with the huge number of things pulling at my soul. The quilt top grew and grew and grew to be so large it scared me.  

I cannot quilt this beast!!!  Can I?  Maybe...  I'll take another on line class to improve...OH NO, this monster is going into the guestroom closet of shame! I cannot manage to quilt it as it deserves to be quilted. I'm not skilled, artistic or talented enough without a cheerleader to tell me I can.



To make matters worse (and better), I shared the quilt top on Facebook.  Big mistake, Big Score - Both. Someone I've never met from the Arty Quilty Police chided me for using such cheap, no name fabric and acting proud of my creation.    


Yet the same quilt top caught someone's eye while she was in raw pain.  She loved the colors, the cheer, the spirit.  She saw a connection with me of those fun times years ago and a connection with grief we share.

But the top was already cast aside.

Grief continues on its own timeline and my brain knows the top lingers in the closest deserving to get up to Long Island.  Even with the no name fabric, it might let someone special to me, who shared the fun of being young know that I'm down here, thinking of her, loving her in her loss. 


Tonight I created a back for this top.  Friday night blues battled by sewing yet again. I hope to pin the whole thing this weekend at a venue I've found which forces me to interact with people.  A place that is an opportunity to interact with people only if they want to meet me.  I don't have to force anything there.  It is for crafters and loners like me.  


Still don't have words but I do say - Finish it!  Share it!  Be proud, even if there is a section that will not lie flat, perhaps due to the no name brand fabric chosen as background pointed out by  Ms. Arty Arrogant.

Share it, because speaking and quilting of grief may make others be uncomfortable in the moment, but when they too walk the path, perhaps they then will find the words - " Hey there!!  I'm listening!!!  I love you!

Peace,love and understanding - thanks Elvis...

For you, Ellen and for Jossie.  NOT for the Arty Quilty Police!




2 comments:

  1. I think your quilt is beautiful, and you should finish it. Shame on Ms. Arty Arrogant for her stupid words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Sandra Louise. Happy Quilting to you fine lady!

    ReplyDelete