Sunday, February 22, 2015

Quilt #5 Winning the War on WIPs


Now in Year Two of my War on WIP, this da'hlin is quilted and had its own day in the sunshine under the lens! Saturday was a lovely day in the low country with the temperatures back up where they belong in the 70's for February in Forsyth Park. 





This post celebrates the fabric I could afford in 1996!  
Children, this is what quilts looked like before the Internet!

In 1996, I was pregnant. Two heart beats? Are you sure? Not sure, could be an echo... And an echo it was.  However, in the weeks between ultrasounds, two quilts started. Twins. After the echo was confirmed, the twin quilts joined seams and became one quilt. 

But back then I didn't have any idea how to quilt. I was getting pretty good at piecing tops but was not yet a quilter.

My only quilting reference was Mary Ellen Hopkin's Its OK if You Sit On My Quilt.

What an awesome book to have as one's only reference!  Every traditional half square triangle combination you could imagine, along with the greatest tutorial ever for making mass quantities of identical HST's! 

You owe it to yourself to see this method!

The internet was new and my dial up modem only made calls to a chat room for first time mom's due in early summer.  The top was bundled away in the storage box with my other hobbies that were to take a break while I was a mom at home for a year, then a working not at home mom for the next 17 years. 

Fast forward to 2010. The storage box unpacked as I rediscovered my love of quilting. This darling top needed to become a warm snuggly, not a UFO.  



















Fraying seams repaired, cheap fluffy batting inserted, bright red 14 year old binding tape found in the craft box and backing with a green sheet I actually took right off the guest room bed in a fit to finish this by tying with embroidery floss.

Fast forward once more to 2015.  I'm a quilter in training.  
Perhaps will always be in training!   <insert abashed grin here>  
<once upon a time, we had to use these <brackets> for emoji!> 

The broken floss removed, top washed, loose threads snipped, a proper cotton batting and scrap busting backing with scrap busting binding has my baby's quilt finished just in time - for graduation! 


BTW - those Summer Mom's '97  and I still are in touch with our Facebook page!



No comments:

Post a Comment