Sunday, March 15, 2015

Scrap Time!




Crazy things happen when scraps are involved.  This is the story of the crazy scrap quilt that just is sorta happening in my head and hands with nothing on paper. No plan, just color and texture.  






So, I made a failure quilt.  It was a good idea, but not enough care was taken working on the bias...but this is the story of the scraps. I feel responsible that all scraps must be used because that was how I was raised. Even looking at this quilt makes me dizzy now.  I only ripped and restitched twice - because I realized NOTHING was going to make this straighten out! 



My grandmother saved every little thing. Raising 5 kids while running a farm all by herself through the depression, making do and reusing was how a person survived.  My grandmother sewed dresses she designed from the Sunday Atlanta Journal advertisements for her own mother and the other ladies in the county. Every scrap could be used for her own kids clothing or at least a quilt or potholder.


I was eight years old, driving that old lady crazy in the summer as her youngest grandchild, a little 'town girl' full of energy and running wild, she tamed me (a bit) with her scrap box.  Teaching me to sew bonded the two of us forever.  

Something wild and crazy is happening with some yardsale black linen like fabric and the scraps from the failure quilt.
 Having fun.  And it may fail just like the original quilt, but dang, this is fun.  



I don't have the leisure to post of WIP Wednesday, or Finish It Friday like the full time Quilt Bloggers, but I do these things on my own crazy time line!  Thanks for visiting with me!

1 comment:

  1. I feel this same way about scraps. I have this connection to cotton and thinking about someone growing and picking it. I just can't throw away scraps. I love your 'failure' quilt because it is so free of constraints. Sometimes it is just fun to sit and sew. Scraps from failure -- sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete