Thursday, March 26, 2015

Original Copy Quilt

Everything is built on something that came before it.


The TED Radio Hour of March 20 begins with that premise. So did the quilt made of Etcetera Clothing Fabric Samples donated by a fabulous friend. 
As a quilter stuck in traffic, I bobbed a bit to La Di Da Di even if I didn't like it way back when and pondered the borrowing ideas in quilting.

When I returned to quilting in 2009, I scoured the internet for tutorials and ideas.  Pinterest appeared in 2010.  I pinned all sorts of lovely work by others, longing to make it for myself.

The often debated, highly vague definition of modern quilting from the Modern Quilting Guild acknowledges building on something that came before.

Some quilt bloggers share tutorials for the methods they use to create quilts. From choosing fabric and pattern to binding the finished quilt, every step of the way can be found on the Quilternet.  Quilt patterns are sold on Etsy and Craftsy. Fabric manufactures provide free patterns.  Yet, almost every single possible layout, step, and technique around is a variation on one done by those crafters that came before us.

While enjoying the music compilation of Axis of Awesome's Four Chords, I remembered Duane Allman's biography discussing how he used his big toe to control an LP as he practiced hours and days and weeks to recreate each note, each lick, each nuance the blues masters made that connected with his soul.  (picture of Duane included just to make my heart flutter)



Is anything original?  Kirby Ferguson proposes in his Ted Talk that only The Big Bang is original. 

My Quilts are copies.  MY COPIES! 
While the colors and fabric are usually my choices, the pattern and quilting are usually adaptations of things I've seen others do.  While I rarely (never) follow written patterns, I sketch the basic blocks or layout for myself and work from my own sketch. 


So I want to say thank you my inspirations.  Many are bloggers.


 According to Charles Caleb Colton:
 "Imitation is the sincerest [form] of flattery".

My first five quilts are just variations of work done by decades of quilters before me:   4 x 4 blocks, bow ties, Log Cabin blocks including the red center square to represent the heart of home. Irish Chain layouts, and half square triangles.  The basic construction tools every quilter brings to a quilt.  

These quilting basics are the licks the master guitarist brings to the craft.  The code the programmer brings to the computer that gives us Pinterest...


Quilt 6 - Kaleidoscope quilting was taught to me by a friend, who had seen it somewhere...skills passed through old-fashioned personal interaction!

Quilt 8, 11, 12, 22, 41 - scrappy use of leftovers taught to me by my Grandmother.

Quilt 9 is my copy of an advertisement for fabric.  I believe was a Hofman's Bali Batiks ad.  And there is not one batik in my quilt.

Quilts from quilts featured in print publications - magazines and books:
13,14,16,23,24,25,31,47,48
Thank you Amy Ellis, Fons and Porter, and the best book ever...You Can Sit on My Quilt.

Quilt 7 was my first internet steal.  I recently read my favorite quilt and stitch blogger  Chawne @ Completely Cauchy began blogging in the simpler Quilternet age.  I have been fascinated with, inspired by and down-right copied this woman's work. 

Other quilts I saw on the internet and I sketched my outlook of the quilt including creations by award winners, SAH Mom's, newbies and treasured instructors.  Some of my quilts look nothing like the originals, but were inspired by something I saw...


22 Other Quilts from Internet finds!!
15, 17,20,27,29,32,33,34,36,37-46,49,50 & 51!
I wish I knew just who I stole this from!  It has been so long ago, I've lost my bookmark to the inspiration! :-(


Internet tutorials are wonderful.  They gave me Rachel's Bottled Rainbows that I used to teach My Man's daughters how to sew.  Look at Abi go!! She stayed up all night that first night making her squares.  A memory I treasure.  And just doing what other's have done before her...
So...what is my point?  I quilt.  It helps me deal with every day.  I appreciate other people who share their craft because it inspires me to do what helps me express and heal myself!   

I suppose my point is:  

Everything is built on something that came before it.


Including quilts... especially quilts?





No comments:

Post a Comment