Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Etcetera Fiesta!

Christmas came early for me when my friend Shelia shared years of her Etcetera Fashion fabric swatches!

Pink and Blue and Teal and Green and lovely textures in every shade.




Some are sheer, knit, wobbly.  A huge change from sturdy 100% cotton, but I so want to create something lovely from these for Shelia, a lady with a lovely sense of style.  

So I hauled out the Easy Knit stabilizer I had on hand to use for a T-Shirt memory quilt .
(Note to self:  MUST start on that soon!)


 I placed the tiny lovelies on a small section of pellon and ironed them down. I decided some of the knits needed 2-D support, so they have two layers of backing. 

Pinks were popping at me so I started there.

Auditioned several whites, grays, and taupes to complete the block.

Moda Grunge was the winner.  I seem to be the only person buying off that taupe gray grunge bolt at my fabric store, but I don't care...I like it and that means more for me to play with!

With thanks to the very first blogger I started following, 


Anyone with experience working with non-cotton fabrics, please share input! 
I know this will be a NO-wash quilt, for sure.





5 comments:

  1. Awesome start! Love the clean and simple design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! My first commenters! You have made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colors of this quilt.
      I've made quilts in the past that contained various fibers, and they are still doing just fine. I always pre-wash the fabrics at the temperature the final quilt will be laundered in. Silk, cotton, rayon, poly blends, etc. The friends that own these quilts still love them all the same. I hope your friend was thrilled

      Delete
    2. thanks Pamela. your experience is reassuring. The project was sidetracked to finish some things closer to completion. I'll be back at it in the new year and after my sewing machine has a check up. Squeaky bobbin is not a good sign.

      Delete